The Ghana Hajj Board has debunked allegations that it has not been transparent in their operations.
The Board has come under scrutiny, as some people have accused its members of not being accountable to the people of Ghana, especially the Muslim community.
But Board Chairman, Sheikh I.C. Quaye, disagrees.
Speaking to Class News, he said contrary to the claims being peddled in the media, the Hajj Board, especially under his chairmanship, has been transparent and accountable.
He said: “We’ve been meeting with the vice-president, we’ve been submitting reports to the vice-president and the president and then we heard someone saying that we don’t account to anybody and so on. When we account to the appointing authority, is that not transparency? But somebody thought that we should come on air and all that.
“What we have done, as of now, is accounting for what we did last year and what we are going to do this year; the monies involved, we have stated them; are we not accountable?
“So, these people who were actually part of the Hajj Board that created or incurred debt on us are those who are saying this. At the appropriate time, we’ll call them one-on-one to come and talk so that we also talk and we shall see who is who.”
Meanwhile, the final batch of Ghanaian Muslim pilgrims to Mecca are set to leave today, Thursday, 16 August 2018.
Over 5,000 Ghanaians are performing the Hajj this year.